Via Rachel Ely Assistant Director for CAA Marketing & Digital Initiatives at Columbia University in the City of New York
This week, we’re bringing you some new networking opportunities and a chance to share career and life advice with Columbia’s newest graduates.
If you have extensive experience in education or are contemplating a new career in education, be sure to check out next week’s Networking Hour, dedicated entirely to the education industry. You will have the opportunity to make connections, swap contact information, and build your professional alumni network. Education areas for networking will include: PreK – 12, Higher Ed, and Online Learning. (Wednesday, May 11 at 12pm EST) REGISTER: https://app.brazenconnect.com/events/education
Looking for a place to find new career resources? Want to connect with Columbia alumni on a larger scale? Then it’s time you logged into the new online Alumni Community: alumni.columbia.edu/community). The Community is a new and exclusive resource, available only to Columbia alumni. And be sure to check out the CAREER OPPORTUNITIES group – a free-form place to post career advice, professional development opportunities, or even job openings. IRAAS Alumni Council created a private discussion group – “IRAAS Alumni”
ADVICE FOR NEW GRADS
Columbia graduation is this month! This year, over 10,000 new graduates from Columbia’s 18 schools and affiliates join our alumni community. Help us welcome our newest alumni by sharing a piece of advice via Grad Grams: http://gradgrams.alumni.columbia.edu
- College Transition days for our college-bound seniors will be broken up into 3 days across 3 months- Days and topics are as follows;
Looking for people who can facilitate workshops on:
MAY 24th –4-7pm – Day 1: Time & Money management workshops
4:15-5:15p Time management
- Importance of Time Management for College students
- Discuss planners and scheduling
- Discuss priorities and free time
- What type of things do you think you’ll need to budget for?
- Have group brainstorm on expenses they may encounter in college
- Tips on money managing
- Understanding loans
- Old enough for Credit
- Bank accounts savings/checking
JUNE 20th 4-7pm – Day 2: Social aspects- focus:
4:15-5:15p Social Issues: in and outside the classroom
- Brainstorm on issues that may arise in a college setting
- Laying ground rules with roommate
- Surviving the culture shock
- Importance of creating community: clubs, sports and extra-curriculars
- Role playing: how would you handle this?
- Mental health- feeling homesick, depression, anxieties
- Physical health-Healthy meals( freshmen 15)
5:30-6:45p Social Issues: Part 2 -Campus Safety
- Social Networking- do’s and don’ts of Social media
- Sexual assaults
- Substance abuse
AUGUST 5th or 12th 4-7pm – Day 3: College 101 the first week
- What are some of the things that need to get done the 1st week on campus ?
- Reviewing different college offices and the services they provide
- Review Top 10 issues identified by college students
- Academics review
- Anatomy of a syllabus
- Office hours
- Review College packing list
- Review Tips for commuters
- Review Tips for community college
Looking for personal statement editors for our
- Rising Seniors Summer Bootcamp– is a two week intensive college-prep program running August 22nd-Sept 1st 12-30p- 5p –
Also looking for facilitators on building organizational skills, creating a final list of schools, personal statement development, CUNY, SUNY and Common application completion as well as FASFA introduction and scholarship research.
Looking to incorporate admission officers and college students to visit and speak on the application process and the college experience.
- Date TBD (usually in Early January before Spring semester commences) Alumni College Fair- open to all–
Perhaps a personalized college tour led by alumni of Columbia can be included.
- (August during bootcamp– for rising seniors, November- for seniors, February – April for 7th-11th graders) College Tours
Special thanks to Brittney Taylor ’11 for IRAAS Alumni coordination!
RSVP to IRAASAlumniCouncil@gmail.com